November 16, 2013

Movie Magic and Movie Appreciation A Whole Family Can Love....

Lately, well...since October...I've been watching a lot of classic films on the TCM channel. I really love old films...I guess I should use "old" in a certain way..maybe a little more, let's see, what's the word....diplomatic way..."old" is after all, a state of mind and pertaining to perspective. What may be "old" to me, may still be something quite recent or current for others, at least in memory. 
I got side-tracked there...what I am trying to say is that I have been watching a lot of "vintage" movies of late.
October is dedicated to Vincent Price, Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Lon Chaney, Peter Cushing and many more, in my opinion.
I set the DVR (the one piece of technology I absolutely and unequivocally love) to record Vincent Price and other horror masters in October...since it was a classic fright fest on TCM and some other channels. 
I had a blast watching them all, I still have a few more in the DVR I need to watch.

Edward and I watched a Vincent Price film entitled "The Story of Mankind."
What a fantastic and hilarious movie!
Vincent Price plays the Devil and I LOVE him as the Devil!
 The Story of Mankind (1957)
Click on the picture above to read about the movie.
Edward and I loved this movie and we laughed our asses off several times at the Devil's comments.
Let's see, I enjoyed some other Vincent Price films, including:
"The Mad Magician", "House on Haunted Hill", "The Big Circus", to name a few.
I have more in the DVR that I am planning on watching.
Vincent Price was a skilled and highly accomplished actor with 199 acting credits.
That's amazing!
For our October Classic Film Fright Fest...we also watched: The Beast Must Die" from 1974. Peter Cushing stars in the film and I thought it would be good...but it was kind of a black-panther-Shaft-esque feel to it that really kind of made it a dud for me. I will say that Peter Cushing was excellent as the "Werewolf Expert."

Natalie and I enjoyed some non-horror flicks as well, we especially liked (I should say loved)
"You Were Never Lovelier" with Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth. What a classy, sassy, fun-filled, song and dance swinging time!

Here's Natalie's and my new favorite new song, it's called "The Shorty George."

Let's see...what else have we watched...OH! I just finished a film last night called "Quo Vadis" from 1951.
Peter Ustinov played Nero...and he was AWESOME!
Leo Genn really stole the show though as Petronius, with his wit and sarcasm he was really impressive as Nero's "closest friend and advisor."
 Quo Vadis (1951)
Click the picture above to read about the movie.
I really enjoyed it and for the 50's it was ahead of it's time and really set things up for the more modern stories about Rome, like "Gladiator", "Rome" and "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" series.
When I'm not watching classic movies, I'm listening to music. At night I've been sticking with nocturnes, harpsichord, pipe organ and cello music, as well as, Gregorian Chants.

I must be going through a phase or something because I'm reading Emily Post's "Etiquette" book from 1965.
(another freebie book find!)
So..that's it.
Hope you all have a wonderful and happy Thanksgiving!
Many Blessings to you and yours!

TTFN


No comments:

Post a Comment